Booking Basics: While booking your flight online may be very convenient, finding the lowest fares can be difficult, if not impossible, for many people. To ensure that you’ll get the best price for your budget, we’ve put together some basic strategies that will save you both time and money.
Plan Ahead: To obtain the lowest fares, you should buy your tickets a minimum seven days in advance. Booking weeks or months ahead is even better. Waiting until the last minute to purchase is really a gamble, sometimes you’ll get a lucky deal, but more often than not, you won’t.
The day of the week you depart and return will also affect the price. Statistics show that Fridays and Sundays are generally the busiest travel days of the week, which makes them to most expensive due to high demand. If you are able, try to book your flight between Monday to Thursday.
Flexibility: On any round-trip route, space must be available on both the departure and return flights. If it’s not available in both directions, one part of the trip can increase the overall price of the itinerary. Try experimenting with different departure and return dates until you find the cheapest fare. Often, changing your original dates by just a day or two will make a significant difference in the price you end up paying.
Fare Comparison: Before purchasing, it is very important to make a comparison against offerings from other flight companies. Often people will book the first flight they see, but remember this most likely will not be the cheapest.
One way to compare is to use a third party site to compare prices, but as they usually incur an added booking fee, usually the cheapest way to book is directly through the airline.
- Get the lowest fares Mondays through Thursdays.
- A 7, 14, or 21 day advance purchase is usually required to get the best deal.
- A route that includes a flight connection will often be cheaper than a non-stop flight.
- Experiment with different travel times and dates. Early morning or late night flights may provide a better deal.
- Remember that an airline’s sale fares aren’t necessarily the lowest available fares.
- When you find a deal you’re happy with, book the ticket quickly. If you wait too long, the deal may no longer be available when you return.
This site is not affliliated with emirates airline.